Saturday 4 August 2012

Stuffed Courgettes - Yotam Ottolenghi

Recipe Rating: ** 2 Star

Ok, so I had some courgettes and wanted to do something a little bit different so I came across this recipe (see online version); it's in his Plenty recipe book.  He says it's a sort of Turkish recipe, and looked quite different and interesting.

 The ingredients were:
Stuffed Courgettes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
110g rice
 2 tbsp currants
1 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp parsley
half tsp allspice
quarter tsp cinnamon
quarter tsp ground cloves
half tsp dried mint
3 courgettes
3 tbsp lemon juice
180ml boiling water
1 and a half tbsp sugar

Here's the audio:



The recipe worked in that the cooking timing was perfect, the rice was just right and a tiny bit crunchy on top.  Trouble was, I didn't actually like the flavour!  It was a bit far-out for me, it was more like having a pudding and I wasn't convinced that it went with the parsley or the courgettes. On it's own the rice mixture was really tasty, and I think it would have gone really well with some pork or something.  But Plenty is a vegetarian cookbook so I suppose that wasn't an option!

I think the reason I didn't like this was mainly down to personal preference, it was simply not my kind of thing.  If you try it though, let me know how you get on - I'm really curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment