Wednesday 11 July 2012

King Prawns in Coconut Curry Sauce

Recipe Rating: **** 4 star

I cooked this one as a weekday evening meal, although it did take a fair bit of work to do.  The reason I chose to cook this one was because I had some prawns that needed eating up and everything else was pretty much store-cupboard ingredients.  The recipe is from a book I have called Curry which is really good (see Curry Cookbook).

So the ingredients I used were:

200 g king prawns
100 ml thick coconut milk
1 cm piece of fresh root ginger
2 cloves of garlic
2 onions
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 bay leaf
2 tsp ground cumin
1 green chilli
2 green cardamom pods, seeds ground with a mortar
1/2 tbsp butter
4 small new potatoes [- not in the recipe but I added them to bulk it out]
160 g basmati rice

The cooking went pretty well, it took me a while - you'll notice the audio lasts 45 minutes - but that's how long it took for the entire process, peeling onions right through to food on the table.  The food was almost a little too tasty - I had a couple of mouthfuls of chilli which completely zonked my taste buds!  So I avoided the chilli when eating the dish, but by the end I decided it was a bit bland without the chilli.

The addition of the potatoes did the job for the evening meal, it made it more filling and meant I didn't need as many prawns.  But it was a little dry so I might try without the potato next time.  Definitely cook this another time though and I'll try to do it properly.

Here's the audio:

No comments:

Post a Comment